Thursday, January 05, 2006

The day-job balancing act

This week was my first Wednesday since leaving my bookkeeping job at Cultural Tourism DC. I had been working for them one day each week for the last few months - and found that I really didn't have time for it (but it paid well, and I do need the money). So, I made a leap of faith, of sorts, and gave them notice back in November... they convinced me to stay on through the end of the year, but now I'm free free free. And if this week was any indication, I think I made the right decision.

This week, instead of going to their office and spending the day doing bookkeeping, I went to work by spending the day in my home studio making recordings. Much more enjoyable work -- the hours flew by. Ginger Wagg came over in the morning to do an editing session for audio for her show coming up this Saturday, then I spent the afternoon working on music for a project with Jane Franklin Dance. (I'm going to write entries about those projects in a few minutes...)

Hopefully the money will work out... but in any event, I'm feeling great about setting aside some additional time for art-making. It certainly feels like the right thing to do now.

No comments: